Saturday, September 22, 2007

Double crises of faith


This is a double crisis of faith.

Not only am I not running the Hutch Delhi Half Marathon any more, but it’s also not the Hutch Delhi Half Marathon any more. It’s now called the Vodafone Delhi Half Marathon.

This whole blog - hutchdelhihalfmarathon – is a lie based on a factual inaccuracy.

Since I’m not running the Hutch Delhi Half marathon any more, so anyone looking for any inspiration, amusement, empathy, sympathy, or even just plain old-fashioned pathetic-ity– is bound to be disappointed. In addition, because of the change in name even the Hutch Delhi Half Marathon does not exist any more. Except as the title on this blog, which really isn’t about it any more.

Its enough to make me lose my feeble mind.

I’m off to the gym, in order to reclaim the tiny little bit of it that I seem to be able to access when my body has been pummelled into submission.....





PS: Quick status on the running –

1. Ran 13 kms on Wednesday on the treadmill. Took exactly 80 minutes to do it. At a one degree incline which I read somewhere sort of approximates running on the track or road. Except I know its not true. Running in an air conditioned gym even at a 60 degree incline can never come close to approximating running anywhere in 35 degree centigrade with 90 percent humidity, even when you run in one of Delhi’s beautiful parks, where the air is laden with frangipani fragrance…
2. Funny side effect of the run on Wed – my elbows hurt. I think being held at an angle for an hour and a half must account for it. Unless of course I have discovered a secret nerve ending that connects elbows with shins and knees and ankles…in which case, can someone tell me how I can make a fortune from this discovery..?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just off for a run. I can see there's something very surreal now about your blog's subtitle. But I guess you can change it if you want. But please keep writing. Running in Delhi is a lonely, strange business - and it's nice to know that other people are as mad as me. Sam

PS do you carry the sipper in your hand, or in a belt.

Anonymous said...

Hang in there - and keep running. I know those body parts are connected, but those long runs can make anything and everything hurt. Have a cookie - things will look up.

what shall I say said...

Sam, yes it's weird. Later on,(while running, as a matter of fact!) I thought it was maybe closer to an exitsential crisis that i meant...? Anyway, as long as I know what I mean and you can sort of figure it out, let it be! Not as if Doubleday's giving me a million dollar advance on this...!
:)

Sipper - I have a belt, used to use it last year, too much of a pain really, you still have to clutch the bottle to keep it jammed in the belt, and this is a matched set of belt and bottle from Nike so i presume other ones wont be much better. So I just hold a half bottle and run.

Amy, You're so right - everythings connected and everything hurts and the common cure is sugary stuff!!!

:)

Hows your running going? and the garden?

Mahesh Narkar said...

Hi,
Came back to your blog after a while.

First keep running.. whether you run in the HDHM or VDHM or ABCDHM is moot.. Run because it sets your mind free, because it gets your pulse soaring, your knees on fire :o) whatever

Second, you can always change the name of this blog.

Keep the faith. We are supposed to have a long chat on food when in Delhi, so I am counting on your delicious descriptions to get me over the finish line

what shall I say said...

Mahesh, fellow Mumbaikar, fellow gourmand ( greedy guts is how I describe myself, but gourmand sounds so much more sophisticated...)of course we'll talk about food, whether I run or not, will send telepathic messages to you describing all the yummy food you can eat that night..

1) At karim's near jama masjid, where the mutton burra is tender and juicy and tastes of heaven, the tandoori fish charcoal grilled and flaky, and the sheer maal is rich and slightly sweet and cuts the spices in the meat just so, so that every element in the food is balanced in perfect harmony....

2) Or at The Great Kabab Factory at the Radisson, where the food's not quite as nice, but the ambience much nicer and the bill MUCH steeper

3) Or the Bukhara, famous Bukhara where nobody from Delhi goes to eat any more, because its always booked out for out-of-towners who want to taste the creamy daal makhani and the family naan thats bigger than a table cloth and the raan that's slightly bigger still...

.. So you see, food descriptions I can do a marathon in, no problem, its the running that's a little bit tougher!

Happy running! Hows your training going, btw?

Mahesh Narkar said...

Hi there,
I am beginning to drool already...I totally disagree with the greedy guts label, though I will admit it is indeed correct (in private). Publicly, I prefer to be called a discerning connoisseur of good food. Not sure about gourmand, though.

Anyway, Karim's is definitely on my list of to-do's. It appears that the other - Bukhara may not work out if it is *always* booked by other out-of-towners. We'll see.

I got back running again today after a 3 day hiatus. Feels good, though I am concerned about my long runs. Haven't completed any distance of note and need to clock up the miles in the next 4 weeks. Pressure :P

Keep on chugging. With 13K under your belt, you might just be looking at a "wild card entry" back? :o)