Sunday, August 19, 2007

Does a long walk count as a long run?



The trainer in the gym I go to is a sadist.

His name is Bobby and he thinks that I am a gym wuss. He, meanwhile has been put on this earth to call me on my essential wimpishness. The fact that I am a lazy dog who would never do a 756th crunch on my own without him yelling into my face just proves his point.

Two days back he made me do some squats and lunges that I thought were hard, but not un doable by Bobby's standards. Ha ha ha ha ha.

My thighs, my calves, my hamstrings have been killing me since then. I'm not exactly unfit, so I dont know what muscles he made me use, muscles I obviously have never used in my life, but I have been a walking sore for the past two days.

Ok, so I decide I am going to do my long run for this week today. Its 6 miles - 9.6 kms. And since I have discovered that running on the treadmill's easy peasy for me, it has to be on the track. So I set the alarm for 5.40 am to be off by 6 to nehru park where I figure I will run for an hour or so, be back by 8.

I hate mornings. Specially Sunday mornings. So i dont stir out of bed till 7, reach nehru park at 7.30. Oh oh.

Everyone in Delhi is there. And I mean everyone. Cancel everything I've said about Delhi being a lonely place for runners. Bar me, who is gloriously solo, there are three thousand running groups, all doing efficient looking things, ( yes I did see some doing fartleks, my old friend!) So obviously, while I have been snuggling into my quilt at 7 am, all the runners of Delhi have been congregating at Nehru PArk and training.

So I start my run. Its supposed to be 9.6 kms so that's 3 and a half loops of the 2.75 km track.

I can barely run. My legs hurt. My thighs are leaden. My hamstrings are about to give way. Bobby is a bastard and may he rot in hell. I get a stitch in my side. I hobble on gamely, while all around me the real runners, the ones who wake and toil while I sleep blissfully, are loping past me, all lithe and controlled.

I give up after one round. I stop hobbling fast and begin to stumble slowly. i.e I stop what passes as running in the first round and walk for about 250 m. Then shame and the old competitive spirit at seeing so many runners in fine fettle overtakes me and I start the whole rigmarole of stumbling- running-clutching-side- cursing Bobby again. Ditto after the 2nd round. Ditto after the third.

When I finally cross the 6 mile mark, I try and put my leg up to strech it on the frangipani tree near the marker. I am in so much pain, I have no idea where my leg ends and the tree begins. I end up with both legs and bum on the ground, heavily crushing the pale pink blossoms scattered below.

When i get my breath back, I realise that out of the 9.6 kms I am supposed to have run ( this weeks long run) I have walked at least .75 kms of it. Maybe even 1 km of it. This is afirst for me. Either i am running or I have slunk home. I have never ever been a walk run walk sort of runner.

Obviously, Bobby's squats and lunges, the presence of the entire Indian contingent for the Commonwealth Games athletics at Nehru park, the time of day ( running when i am generally asleep)have all contributed to this abberation.

Im proud of myself, that i didnt just slide behind the wheel of my car after my first loop and take off home. I am also amazed at how unfit I am. But most of all I am thinking to myself. If you walk quite a lot of it, does it still count as a long run?

After all there has to be a run in the long run, right?

What do you think?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just found your site and enjoy reading your posts.

I think there was some running in there. LRs are just as much a matter of time spent on your feet.

Good luck with you training. I'll enjoy following your progress.

what shall I say said...

Thanks Tom

:)

I like this logic and I shall now adopt it fiercely - that long runs are also a matter of how much time one spends on one's feet.

(Does time on one's feet with snout in refrigerator foraging for sugary snacks count? :) :) )

I just checked out your blog, I am so touched by your kindness. If I were training for a triathlon, I would be laughing like a hyena at anyone moaning about a 6 mile long run...

:)

Thank you again.

Anonymous said...

Great blog. I want to do Delhi half marathon this year. Is it all on roads? And do you know if there's anywhere in Delhi to get decent running shoes? I go to Panchsheel Park most days, which has brilliant paths for running...

what shall I say said...

Hi Sam

Yes, the Delhi half marathon is all on the roads, at least it was all on the road last year! This year they havent yet put up the race route, but I figure it will be more or less the same.

Hmmm. Good shoes. I guess the usual suspects. Nike, Adidas, Reebok. A great place to go to is Vasant Lok, near Priya in Vasant Vihar, since they have fairly large outlets for all three within a 30 second walk of one another, so you can try them all and see...

I havent really been able to make up my mind whether I prefer DMX (Rbk) or Shox from Nike, so I have compromised and have a pair of each that I wear alternately( she said casually, as if these very conversations on running shoes wasn't what she really longed for and had used the same longing to bore the pants off the three and a half people who read this blog with!!!)

I have never ever been to Pansheel Park. Is there really a park in Panchsheel Park? How brilliant. I thought it was just a name... How long is the loop?

Anonymous said...

Yes, Panchsheel Park is brilliant for running (and it's not very busy in the early evening when I run). There's smaller loop which is just under 3K, and a larger one which is just under 5K - and several alternatives, so it doesn't get too boring; also heavy tree cover and very pretty.

I used to get shoes from the Vasant Lok shops, but noone of the shop workers seemed to know anything about then, and I got the most extraordinary blisters, like some new lifeform. Anyway I get them fitted when I go abroad now.

I have a dodgy knee, and don't really like doing a lot of road running (PPark is dirt track) and so will probably miss the NDHM. Keep writing...

Mahesh Narkar said...

Just found your site and laughed through your posts... they so resonate .. the leg exercises and the excruciating aftermath, the hobble and slide routine of running (trying ?) after the leg exercises, the giving up of sugary foods..
I went through all of these just last week, also giving up rice and potatoes along the way (two words .. no biryani :( )

Have a ball with your training. I will come back to keep up with our seemingly synchronous running episodes.

Cheers

what shall I say said...

Hi Mahesh

No biryani. No potatoes. No rice. No sugar.....

Frankly the words that really describe me best right now are :
No motivation. No running!

Perhaps in 8 weeks,
No marathon will describe me best...

I am actually seriously going through a crisis of faith at this moment - who am I, why do I run, where can I find the nearest jalebi pile to dive into?

:)

But thanks for stopping by, I am amazed that anyone is reading this at all....

Good luck with your training, I hope its going better than mine!

Mahesh Narkar said...

The nearest jalebi pile will be all the more sweeter when done after 21K.. or the nearest biryani/kabab.
I know the feeling of zero motivation.. read my latest post.
My training crawls ...just like me on no rice/no potatoes/no meat ..
Will be linking to your blog.

Stay in touch. The force is with you.Keep the faith.

what shall I say said...

Mahesh

:)

Thank you!